Dear Saskatchewan Brazilian Jiu Jitsu community,
On behalf of the SaskBJJ Federation, we understand that COVID-19 has had a dramatic impact on all of our lives and we hope that everyone is staying mentally and physically healthy at this time. We are all facing challenges in our daily operations but it has been great to see the creativity, innovation and perseverance the Saskatchewan Brazilian Jiu Jitsu clubs have shown over the past few months.
We are all hoping that we will quickly transition to the next phase of the Provincial Reopening Plan and with the support of the BJJ community, BJJ academies will be able to return to their regular schedules, full contact training and participating in tournaments.
Remember that all academies are adapting to these financially challenging times and they need your continued support. If you are in a position to renew your academy membership, we encourage you to do so and join your training partners for virtual classes or fitness programs back on the mat.
For up to date changes to the Provincial Reopening Plan, please visit the Provincial website. If you need more information or clarification on any point you can contact the provincial Covid-19 business line at 1-844-800-8688 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates and revisions to the Provincial website are usually released on Thursdays. Please visit your academy’s website or facebook page for their individual reopening plans. We strongly recommend that all member clubs follow the fitness club guidelines laid out in the Provincial Reopening Plan.
At the moment the SaskBJJ Board of Directors is currently working on the following initiatives:
- Official Sask Sport Membership: We are in the final stages of the approval process and are developing coaching curriculums in accordance with provincial guidelines and the Canadian Jiu Jitsu Association. Please visit the Sask Sport website for more information on how Sask Sport membership would benefit all of us.
- SaskBJJ is reviewing the insurance and legal implications of our waivers in regards to Covid-19 and will share that information with our club members.
- SaskBJJ is writing a letter to the Premier’s office outlining our needs and concerns at this time. Please feel free to contact your local MLA or the Covid business hotline to let them know the importance of returning to “contact sport” training. Showcase your club by contacting the local media and conducting an interview from your academy.
- After the success of the André Galvão seminar, we have tentatively booked ADCC and IBJJF World Champion JT Torres for October 3-4, 2020. This seminar was booked prior to the shutdown and will be contingent on Covid-19 restrictions. The seminar is open to all SaskBJJ members. Please contact us if any member club is interested in being a host for our future elite training seminars.
- We are working on booking another IBJJF referee training seminar for phase 4-5 of the reopening plan.
- SaskBJJ would like to hold this year’s provincial tournament in Saskatoon. Any member academy interested in hosting this tournament should email us for more information.
SaskBJJ values the BJJ community and understands the importance of supporting each other during these times. As restrictions are lifted, we would like to take a moment to encourage all members to support their local academies and continue to renew their SaskBJJ memberships. SaskBJJ insurance benefits include business liability insurance for club members as well as accident and personal liability insurance for individual athlete memberships.
Feel free to contact us if you have any ideas for future SaskBJJ events or have ideas about how we can further support our membership at this time. SaskBJJ is a volunteer non-profit sporting organization and is always looking for engagement from our membership.
If you have questions about COVID-19, you can:
- Call HealthLine 811 for 24/7 health information and advice, including mental health support
- Access the most up-to-date news and information on www.saskatchewan.ca/COVID19
- Email COVID19@health.gov.sk.ca
- For any non-health related inquiries related to COVID-19 call toll free 1-855-559-5502 from 8am to 5pm daily